Kim Junsu vs. Kim Jun-su vs. Kim Jun Soo

JamieC wrote July 23, 2024

This is getting into Debbie Gravitte territory. smile

The Elisabeth recording cover has him as "Kim Jun Soo". The 2020 Mozart! EP has "Kim Jun Su". The 2023 Dracula has "Kim Jun-su", which he also seems to use. I'm trying to figure out how to make one person with multiple alternate names, but my last attempt at doing this ended badly. Can someone help and make one person with aliases?

Archivist wrote July 23, 2024

You raise a complicated question, Jamie. Currently there is no easy way for the general user to cross-link name variations. There are work-arounds, but they require administrator access.

It is "easy enough" to connect Debbie Gravitte, Debbie Shapiro, and Debbie Shapiro Gravitte. [ https://castalbums.org/people/Debbie-Gravitte/834 ]

It becomes much more complicated when the name does not originate in the Latin alphabet (Greek, Hebrew, Cyrillic), and moreso again when it does not follow the first-last name convention. The family (last) name first followed by one or more "first" names is common in many Asian languages. (Also in Hungarian, and possibly others.)

The third layer of complication occurs with imprecise romanization - the conversion from non-Latin characters to something "readable" by Westerners. Just dropping something in Google Translet or Deepl is not always the answer. That is why we have Kim Jun Soo, Kim Jun-su, Kim Jun Su, and Kim Junsu.

All of those are now in the database and cross-linked, as is 김준수 - the Korean version - and all are now searchable. I've also added some links to biographical data to add context. Perhaps folks can use this as a baseline example other entries. [ https://castalbums.org/people/Kim-Jun-Soo/96172 ]

Search results - i.e., the lists of recordings - will vary depending on which version of the person's name is searched and which was used when a recording was entered in CAdb. However, the VIEW ALL option will show all the recordings associated with all name variations of an artist as long as all the name variations are linked. [EXAMPLE: Kim Jun Soo (2), Kim Jun-su (1), Kim Jun Su (0), Kim Junsu (4), and 김준수 (0), for a VIEW ALL (7) recordings total.]

Apologies if you already knew most of this, but I thought it would be good to post for those who are new to the concepts. Obviously, getting the names of all Japanese, Russian, Thai, Korean, Israeli, Arabic, Greek and other non-Latin-based artists complete and correct will be a never ending project.

The great work begins! People are welcome to post update requests here or to contact me directly.

JamieC wrote July 24, 2024

Thank you for the explanation. It doesn't help when CDs produced in Korea use different romanizations (Kim Jun Su on the Mozart! EP and Kim Jun Soo on Elisabeth). In addition, he's also gone by the mononyms Junsu and 시아 (XIA).

I guess this is beyond Debbie Gravitte territory. tongue

Archivist wrote July 24, 2024

Doesn't even have to be another language, as evidenced by that CD initially credited to Steven Sondheim. : }

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.