The Rise and Fall of the City Mahagonny - 1979 Metropolitan Opera

RenzoRienzi wrote on December 30, 2007

Is it really proper to list Lotte Lenya as a performer here? She's merely interviewed during one of the intermissions.

SurabayaSeany wrote on December 31, 2007

I'm aware of this, but her presence is definitely a draw. Also, I think that whether an actor giving an interview can be labeled as a performance or not is really debatable. ;-)

justoldbill wrote on January 27, 2008

To complete the cast listing, two supernumeries had dialogue in Scene 5-("Has the ship gone?"/"No, thank God, it's still there."). These lines were spoken by unbilled actors William Ankenbrock and Andrew Murphy, respectively. I know because I am William Ankenbrock and would very much like to acquire a video of the telecast. (Andrew and I were also prominently featured in Act Two's "Loving" sequence.) Any assistance in acquiring a copy of the telecast, preferably on VHS, would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at [email protected]. Many thanks.

justoldbill wrote on January 27, 2008

Pardon my spelling- supernumeraries. I met Lenya during rehearsals- she was wonderful. And the entire cast made the show one of the best ensemble experiences ever.

justoldbill wrote on January 28, 2008

Many thanks for the cast addition on the listing. Andy would have been thrilled as well. The two of us were not heard on subsequent broadcasts due to changes in the chorus contracts. As a point of detail regarding the telecast, the three vignettes in the brothel scene were, respectively, Andrew Murphy with Isola Jones (chewing gum), Stephen Porter with Klara Barlow (first-timer) and myself with unbilled actress Teddi Keller on her knees doing what the principal ladies opted out of. The on-stage pianist in Act One was Philp Eisenberg.

SurabayaSeany wrote on October 17, 2008

Oh, wow, I just now got saw these comments! Have you been able to get ahold of a VHS of the telecast?

pennybankbill wrote on February 26, 2011

Hooray! So glad this was finally added to the list of recordings, but, umm, shouldn't it be under DVD?

pennybankbill wrote on February 26, 2011

SurabayaSeany, where exactly did you get your copy? I've been looking a while and don't want to shell out 250-260 for just one DVD in 21.

justoldbill wrote on May 15, 2013

The MET gift shop has been selling single copies from the Levine DVD set, including MAHAGONNY. The show was my first job in New York, so all my nearest and dearest got this as birthday presents over the past year. I'm grateful I've lived long enough to see this commercially released.

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.