Wicked in Rock - 2008 Kerry Ellis

jouke wrote on June 22, 2008

I was hoping the Wicked songs are form the show, like the verson on the OBC. However it are some horrible remix versions

MusicalMad wrote on June 22, 2008

Cant say i was keen on the defying gravity! The rock arrangement is too much, Kerry is shouting to keep up with the heavy arrangement. Is there really a need for a 60 piece orchestra? and the beauty of the track and her normal performance is completly lost! Hopefully this is not a sign of how the rest of the album will be!

libradude wrote on June 28, 2008

I agree, it's just too much. "I'm Not That Girl" isn't quite as bad, but there's still little left of the original piece. "No One But You" is amazing, but it isn't anything new.

luvwicked wrote on June 30, 2008

Well, I'm glad they didn't just take the Original Broadway Cast Recording orchestrations and have Kerry do a "karaoke"-style recording. It's nice to hear fresh orchestrations. The German Cast Recording suffers from using the same old Broadway Cast orchestrations. I mean, where's the huge orchestra from Germany when you need it?! Anyway, I do agree that Kerry does seem to shout a bit here. I'm not too fond of her Elphaba anyway, but it's good to see there are other recordings of the score out there.

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.