Cabaret - 1988 Argentinian Cast

cristianew wrote on September 3, 2007

This recording doesn't exist...It was never recorded...The only available thing is a BAD bootleg (soundboard)... ESTA GRABACIÓN NO EXISTE. NUNCA SE EDITÓ COMERCIALMENTE. LO UNICO QUE SE CONSIGUE ES UNA MALA GRABACION HECHA EN LA CONSOLA MEZCLADORA DE LA CABINA DE SONIDOS DEL TEATRO (bootleg)

GlobalMusicals wrote on February 9, 2008

Based in the files I have, I'd say this recording does exist, but it is most probably non-commercial as the person who added it indicated.

The version I have is 24 tracks total.

Eleven are the tracks shown on the site. #3 was labeled "Alo" and #6 was "Es Mio El Porvenir."

Then there are 6 tracks labeled "estudio" which - not being fluent in Spanish - I am taking to mean rehearsal. They are retakes or slightly different arrangements of #1, #2, #3, #7, #8 and #9.

Then there are 7 instrumental tracks. These are mostly play on/off music and musical interludes for #2, #4, #8 (2 tracks), #11 plus interstitial music for "Don't Tell Mama" and "Married." Unfortunately these songs are not part of the file. Also missing are:

"So What?" "Perfectly Marvelous" "Why Should I Wake Up?" "Meeskite" "What Would You Do?"

The recording is professional quality, though definitely of the '80s and perhaps with some generational loss. There are no audience sounds and the singers and instruments are well balanced. It compares very well to the quality of many demo recordings from the era.

My conclusion is that this is neither soundboard or an air/audience bootleg tape. Instead I think it is a studio session - either a rehearsal or a recording session for a possible cast album that never happened. Some of the instrumental tracks have a bit of chorus participation and on one track you can hear the conductor tapping his baton and counting "Uno...Dos...Tres..."

I think the "Marked For Deletion" indicator should be removed.

Moncure wrote on August 6, 2008

This recording consists of 24 tracks. The following were recorded live in front of an audience (you can clearly hear applause): Willkommen, Telephone Song, Mein Herr, Maybe This Time, Money, If You Could See Her. The above selections were also recorded in a studio along with Cabaret, Tomorrow Belongs To Me and It Couldn't Please Me More. Instrumetal versions of the following are included: Willkommen (with chorus), Don't Tell Momma, Mein Herr, Money (2x), Married, Two Ladies (with squeeling woman) and underscoring for Cliff's departure back to the USA.

GlobalMusicals wrote on August 7, 2008

Moncure, it sounds like we have different versions of this. I'd be most interested in hearing what you have. Please contact me.

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.