The Civil War - 1997 Demo

scarpent1963 wrote on May 8, 2008

How can I get a copy of this recording? I have the Nashville Sessions and the Complete Work. Is this a different one?

AMP wrote on May 23, 2008

Yes, this IS a different version. It's a "Demo," as noted. which means it's sung by different singers, with different orchestrations.

As to how to get it, you might check with collectors who have it to see if they'll trade.

Finally, I remain unconvinced that this is actually two DIFFERENT releases, since the track titles are the same and there were likely NOT two different Demo recordings done. It's more likely that this is just two different covers done for a custom CD (since this was never officially released).

Perhaps libradude or enekosondheim (who listed these) can give more input?

Lazarus14113 wrote on June 21, 2008

There's a possiblity that Wildhorn made several Demo CDs. I know he has quite a few different Demo recordings of J&H out there, as well as the three concept albums released from 90-97. Say what you want about Wildhorn as a composer, but at least the guy tries several times to get it right.

libradude wrote on June 21, 2008

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Enekosondheim and I came to the conclusion that the two releases ARE probably the same recording (as you said). One recording was marked as a "For The Glory" demo and the other "Civil War" demo. More than likely, there is no difference besides when they released.

AVD wrote on December 16, 2008

Yeah, but who let these recordings out? How and why do traders have them? Did Frank or one of his people hand it over or release them as samplers before the official releases/production openings?

gbrenn01 wrote on August 8, 2009

Does anyone know who is singing "Missing You (My Bill)" on this one? Sounds a little to me like Elizabeth Ward Land, who would've (or potentially) could've been doing Pimpernel work at the time.

mshydehj7 wrote on June 17, 2011

The track name is Peculiar Institution, not Peculiar Drummer. It's Regimental Drummer which is loaded as track name, and it is on this recording. I was able to get a copy of the 2 disc demo thru a cast member. And I believe it was actually called Civil War An American Musical at that time. That's what mine is labeled.

luvwicked wrote on June 28, 2011

Incidentally, the track is mislabeled as "The Peculiar Institution" and is, in reality, called "Quiet in the Night".

bearbrian wrote on November 22, 2011

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this?

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.