Mamma Mia! - 2011 Original Chinese Cast

lachris wrote on June 16, 2012

This never got recorded, you could delete it now. I talked to someone in this project at the beginning of this year, and he told me they would record it soon, but that never happened. Now with all the cast members dismissed, I guess this would not happen, ever.

TXTyler wrote on June 16, 2012

I'm sorry to hear this news. I was looking forward to a Chinese cast recording of the show. Was the show not a success? Wasn't it supposed to tour?

lachris wrote on June 16, 2012

It looks like a success, but insiders know its financial failure. And it did tour until January this year, and will tour again later this year, with new cast members. They are supposed to start the tour this fall, but they haven't found Donna yet... They are doing Cats in Mandarin right now, hope that could get recorded. Not that I love those two shows that much, just that I want a Chinese cast recording of western shows too.

fshepinc wrote on July 27, 2012

I don't have any Chinese cast recordings in my collection. Which shows have been recorded?

Archivist wrote on September 10, 2012

The only Broadway/West End show recorded in either Mandarin or Cantonese I have ever seen in PETER PAN. (This does not include Disney soundtracks like MULAN, TARZAN, etc.)

http://castalbums.org/recordings/Peter-Pan-1976-Hong-Kong-Cast/2046

lachris wrote on August 1, 2013

News today: they officially announced that a recording will be made this year!

Not sure which cast will be recorded though. The current touring cast has only a few actors from the original run. I don't think they will bring back the entire original cast. That means no Carol Zhang (original Sophie), who is the only one I really enjoyed her performance. Well, this is coming from someone who does not really care about Mamma Mia the show. Anyway, finally we'll get our first Chinese cast album (of western shows)!

Other translated shows this year include Cats (from the same company that did Mamma Mia!), Avenue Q (from the company that did an English La Mancha last year), and I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (a revival of the 2006 production). Wonder which will make the next cast album.

Archivist wrote on August 17, 2013

Please keep posting information on the Chinese cast recordings, Chris! Thanks!

TXTyler wrote on August 20, 2013

Please do! I'm over the moon about this news. I'm a huge fan of Mamma Mia!, and this new recording is a complete surprise. Let's hope they get this CD released soon!

TXTyler wrote on September 11, 2013

Any news on this? Can't find anything by searching. Hope this doesn't die out like the last attempt. ;(

lachris wrote on September 11, 2013

The original Chinese Tanya Xiaocen Shen posted a photo of herself in the recording studio on Aug. 31. So don't worry, it's really happening. In case you're wondering, Xiaocen is repeating her role in the latest tour and I believe they're recording the current tour cast.

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.