18 Interesting Songs from Unfortunate Shows - 1977 Bobby Van, Susan Watson, Betty Garrett

Geoconno wrote on August 5, 2008

This is not a compilation album. These recordings were made for this album.

GlobalMusicals wrote on August 5, 2008

As with several areas of the website, we suffer from non-standard definitions here. Some use compilation as a new release of tracks form prior recordings. (Like most of what passes for a film soundtrack CD these days.) Others consider compilation a grouping of tracks from different shows released under a single theme (composer, overtures, etc.)

The other common instance of this is promo-demo-sampler. My definitions are:

Demo - Previously unrecorded / unreleased tracks of a new work prior to production and a post-premier cast recording. Promo - Either music previously recorded but re-edited (as in a medley) or alternate takes from a cast or studio recording. Sampler - A subset of tracks from a full cast recording issued to either sell tickets or CDs. The tracks are identical to their counterparts on the full cast recording, but in different packaging.

I wish Matt would form a task force of interested and informed site users to help work on some of these things. (I also wish there was a more general discussion / blog area so that a conversation like this is not just filed under this particular recording.) I wish....more than anything!

Rodolfo wrote on September 9, 2008

Betty Garrett sang "I'm in Love with a Soldier Boy" in the original 1943 Broadway production of Something for the Boys, a performance she re-creates on this album.

NYCNewCds wrote on January 20, 2014

Is there a way to distinguish which songs are from which shows on this album?

Rodolfo wrote on January 20, 2014

Each song is hyperlinked to its own page, which will tell you the name of the show.

Post a Reply

Want to post a reply? Log In or Register an Account.